MySpace has exploded as the number one social networking site online. It’s a place for people of all ages and interests to go to meet people with similar interests, make new friends, and build a network. In order to attract others interested in becoming your MySpace friends, you’ll definitely need to have an inviting MySpace layout, something that reflects your own unique style. So how do you go about creating an eye-catching MySpace layout? Will you need to take courses on HTML, CSS, and Web design or pay top-dollar to a hotshot Web designer?
Fortunately, the answer is a lot easier than all that. With a little time spent upfront, you can create a fantastic MySpace layout that really impresses. Here are 5 tips to get you started in the right direction:
1. Decide on your style — keep in mind that your MySpace page is like your front door to the world. It should reflect who you are and a bit of your own personal style. Just sticking with the default MySpace layout will probably give the impression that you’re lazy and not too original. However, that can be easily fixed with just a little time and effort to learn some basic HTML and CSS.
2. Use pre-made layouts — the good news is that you don’t need to spend weeks or months learning HTML and laboring to make your own MySpace layout. There are tons of pre-made MySpace layouts available both free and those you can buy. Many of the free layouts are quite good and with so many to choose from, you’re bound to find something that suits your tastes. Many of these sites also have layout editors where you can upload your own images and generate the code right there on the site.
If you want to guarantee that you have a unique layout, then you can hire a designer to design one just for you. There are loads of layout designers advertising their services online at very reasonable fees.
3. Learn some HTML — despite what you may think or have been told, learning basic HTML coding is not difficult at all. Especially if you’re going to just tweak a pre-made MySpace layout. In fact, this is a great way to get your feet wet and possibly develop a deeper interest in Web site design. There loads of very good free HTML tutorials online to help get you started.
4. Learn about CSS — actually, you’ll find that tweaking pre-made layouts is more about changing the Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) code rather than the HTML. The name may sound daunting, but CSS is a very convenient way to change the formatting of your layout without needing to edit bunches of HTML tags.
The old method for changing the style of the text on a Web page was to edit each and every font tag on the page. There could be scores of these tags to change making the job very tedious and error pone. With CSS changing the color of the text used on your MySpace profile page is simply a matter of changing the value that defines the font color in the CSS rule for the body tag on your page.
There is a lot to CSS, but you don’t need to be an expert to get started. Like learning HTML, there are also a lot of free CSS tutorials online.
5. Tweaking & experimenting — the best way to get started creating your own MySpace layout is to grab a free layout you like and start experimenting. Don’t be afraid – just jump in with both feet and see what happens when you start changing around the values in the CSS section of your layout. Don’t worry if you mess something up, just make a backup copy of the layout code to be safe. Who knows, you might really like some of the changes you happen to make by accident!
So take some time now to peruse the many free MySpace layouts available and select a few that you really like. You may want to get your friends and family to help you make the final choice. Then from there, it’s just a matter of playing around with the HTML and CSS code until you have something you’re really happy with. And remember, what will really make your profile standout is the content you place on it. Then in no time, you’ll have a MySpace layout that you’ll be really proud of and you’ll see your list of MySpace friends really takeoff!